Statistics show that women who have professional support during the postpartum period tend to have significantly lower postpartum mood disorders and make an easier transition to parenthood. Mother-baby bonding is stronger, and (if breastfeeding), it usually lasts longer than those with no support.
My Newborn Nurse is a newborn home visiting service offered to all new parents in North Coastal, North Inland and Central San Diego County.
- Baby Care 101: an in-home information session with instruction on how to care for a newborn. (Can be done before or after you deliver).
- In-Home IBCLC-RN Lactation Consultation
In-Home Mother and Newborn Care may include:
- Help with bathing, swaddling, diaper changes, cord care, circumcision care, soothing and calming techniques for a crying baby.
- Help with feedings (breast or bottle)
- Monitoring feedings and dirty diapers to make sure baby is “getting enough”
- When to notify an MD
Breastfeeding & Breast Pumping Support:
- Help with breastfeeding including latching, sore nipples, instructions on nipple shield use, positioning techniques, milk supply, and instruction on how often and how much to feed.
- Instruction on how to clean pump parts.
- Breast pump rental information and referral.
- Lactation consulting if more significant issues arise.
Bottle & Formula Instruction:
- Information on safe formula preparation.
- Instructions on bottle feeding (amount and frequency).
- When to know if your brand of formula is not working for your baby and when to change.
New Mother Postpartum Care:
- Care for cesarean deliveries: incisional care, physical support on how to bend, lift, and move after surgery, pain control, assessing for signs of infection and when to call your doctor.
- Breast care: how to heal and care for sore nipples.
- Support and advice on how to heal and care for yourself after delivery!
- Assessment, support, and referral for Postpartum Mood Disorders, if needed.
- A kind and listening ear, and a support person during your postpartum period.
- Nonjudgemental, calming, professional support.
Support and Education:
- Providing support, educational materials and resource guides for you and your baby’s specific needs.
Resources and Support Services:
- Community Resources and Support Services Offering various recourses to new parents, including local breastfeeding support groups, mother’s groups, resource guides and books, recommend products, and more!
I can help answer questions about your child’s pediatric immunization schedule and provide a copy of the schedule to ensure you make appointments as needed.