This is a 2 hour in-home information session with instruction on how to care for a newborn. (Can be done before or after you deliver). This care may include:
- Help with bathing, swaddling, diaper changes, cord care, circumcision care, soothing and calming techniques for a crying baby.
- Infant Massage
- Help with feedings (breast or bottle)
- Monitoring feedings and dirty diapers to make sure baby is “getting enough”
- When to notify an MD
Breastfeeding & Breast Pumping Support:
- Help with breastfeeding including latching, sore nipples, instructions on nipple shield use, positioning techniques, milk supply, and instruction on how often and how much to feed.
- Instructions on how to use breast pump, pump assembly, cleaning pump parts, and making sure breast pump is being used properly.
- Breast pump rental information and referral.
- Lactation consultant referrals if more significant issues arise.
Bottle & Formula Instruction:
- Help with formula preparation.
- Instructions on bottle feeding (amount and frequency).
- When to know if your brand of formula is not working for your baby and when to change.
New Mother Postpartum Care:
- Care for vaginal deliveries: techniques and support on healing the perineal area after delivery.
- Care for cesarean deliveries: incisional care, physical support on how to bend, lift, and move after surgery, pain control, assessing for signs of infection and when to call your doctor.
- Breast care: how to heal and care for sore nipples.
- Support and advice on how to heal and care for yourself after delivery!
- Assessment, support, and referral for Postpartum Mood Disorders, if needed.
- A kind and listening ear, and constant support person during your postpartum period.
- Non-judgemental, calming, professional support.